With all the preparation necessary for a new little one, the thing that is weighing most heavily on my mind is how to sleep train. I will be starting school again a mere 7 weeks after my due date, and a good night's sleep is a must! I'm wondering if any moms out there could point me in
A direction, seeing as there are so many books on the market on how to sleep train that I could spend the rest of my life reading. What worked for you? What didn't?
14 comments:
This is quite a loaded question. Get ready for a huge wave of answers from all the sleep-depreived moms out there. But it's extremely smart of you to be thinking ahead on this topic. It will change your life. I've actually answered this question a few times on my formspring page:
http://www.formspring.me/emilyg1019
Feel free to call anytime with questions. It's so hard at times, but training is so worth it.
I'm just so excited for you! And I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants pictures, am I right?
every baby is different. What works for one, may not for the other.
1. The book that changed our life. "the happiest baby on the block" by Dr. Karp. Literally saved my sanity.
2. Cry-out method. THe hardest thing I have ever done, but also the best thing I've ever done.
Good Luck!
I SWEAR BY "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" My kids are sleeping through the night by 6 weeks (about 8 hours) and by 12 weeks they are sleeping 12+ hours. No lie.
Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Baby (Child)
I read "Baby Wise" and it was amazing. Crew was sleeping through the night by 2 months (11 hours).
Sleep training is essential!!
We didn't read any books, but you need to call me :)
yeah, I LOVED LOVED LOVED Happiest Baby on the Block...it's not a sleep training book, but it will KEEP YOUR SANITY for when you have fussy babies. I literally had the happiest babies on my block because of this...I would recommend getting the DVD...saves time rather reading the book and it's awesome to visually see how the doctor calms a screaming infants literally in SECONDS.
Boo that you have to go back to work though! I'm just so excited for you guys!
We used Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child - I am pretty sure Melody did too. Of course we made some of our own adjustments.
I will just say, as a nurse, I think Baby Wise isn't healthy - they start too early. You can email me if you want more detail.
Good luck. It is hard, but oh so worth it - you really have a happier, healthier child with good sleep!
First, I haven't been by your blog in awhile- CONGRATULATIONS!!
I'm another vote for "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child." I don't really love the way the book is organized, but the it's full of good stuff.
Yes, I loved "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child." Good for you for thinking ahead!
I've 4 great sleepers and 1 terrible sleeper. My worst was my oldest. We let him sleep with us which was a terrible mistake. I'd start off by putting your baby in his own bed which should be close to yours. Don't let him sleep with you. Nurse/feed him and put him down. I sound horrible but if you don't start at the beginning you'll pay for it for years! With that said, all babies are different! Good luck! I wouldn't read too many books. They won't help you much. Go with you gut!
I used "Health Sleep Habits, Happy Child" but not until Noelle was about 4 months. She was always so little and such a small eater that her tank had to refilled often, no matter what amazing sleep method we could have possibly tried. So all babies are different, but ever since then she has been a great sleeper (naptime and bedtime).
I AGREE with the many who said Healthy Sleep Habits,Happy Child.
Getting the baby in their crib after the first 5 or so nights made all the difference for me.
I also went back to work when Gavin was 7 weeks old. Hard, but we did it. :)
Ditto to Healthy Sleep Habits. My boys reacted differently, but they both sleep long and well through the night and can get themselves to sleep for naptime. It's lovely. Come visit sometime! I'd love to chat! Certainly you need to borrow something, don't you?? :)
Post a Comment